Course Information


There’s a range of accommodation options, from homestays, boarding schools, shared housing, apartments and quality campus facilities. Those aged under 18 may be able to live here with a family member, if permitted by their institution and provided their family member meets the Australian Government requirements. Most students, whether they’re international or Australian, rent accommodation. There’s no need to buy.

As accommodation in Melbourne is in demand, students are advised to prepare and apply for accommodation in advance. When applying for accommodation, a range of documentation is required but not limited to:

  • Copy of your passport
  • Copy of your financial records proving your ability to pay
  • Copies of any character references
  • Copies of any rental history and references from previous landlords

"When I first came to Melbourne I lived in homestay with an Australian family. It was a good start as I gradually learned how to live here… I have learned to be really independent in order to deal with all the daily life details which were done by my mother before."

Learn more about Elva's experience

Accommodation Options

Home Stay
Many school students choose homestay and become part of an Australian family with a close association to the school they attend.
Cost: $110 to $270 per week

Boarding Schools
Many independent schools provide on-campus accommodation for international school students.
Cost: $8,000 to $11,000 per year (in addition to tuition)

Hostels and Guesthouses
Students share bathroom and kitchen facilities.
Cost: $80 to $135 per week

University Accommodation
Most universities offer accommodation on-campus or nearby, such as university apartments, residential colleges and meals.
Cost: $80 to $250 per week

Share Accommodation
Many international students share a rental house or apartment. A wide range is available, from apartments in the heart of the city and on the waterfront, to houses with gardens in vibrant inner areas well connected with public transport.
Cost: $80 to $350 per week


Accommodation Resources

Consumer Affairs Victoria has a range of publications, fact sheets, forms and brochures available for a number of renting situations.  Examples include: Renting; Before you Decide to Rent; Paying the Rent; Rental Bonds; Repairs and Maintenance, Inspections for Tenants; and Share Houses.  Click here to access the Consumer Affairs Victoria website for further information.

If you have a dispute or complaint with your landlord, or are unsure of your rights and responsibilities while renting or buying accommodation, you can lodge an enquiry or complaint with Consumer Affairs Victoria.


Further information may also be obtained through the following websites:


Renting and Accommodation in Victoria - A Guide for International Students

Consumer Affairs Victoria Information Booklet
"Renting and Accommodation in Victoria: A Guide for International Students

Click here (PDF, 141KB) to download a copy of Consumer Affairs Victoria "Renting and Accommodation in Victoria: A guide for International Students.

Consumer Affairs Victoria DVD
"Renting in Victoria: A Guide for Students"

"Renting in Victoria: a guide for students" aims to improve International Students’ knowledge of their tenancy rights and responsibilities, provide practical information about living in Australian housing and accessing the private rental market. 

The DVD provides information about accessing student accommodation in Victoria, starting, maintaining and ending a tenancy. This practical tool to assist students in understanding their rights and responsibilities under Victorian residentail tenancy laws can be viewed in the following languages: English; Hindi; Indonesian; Japanese; Korean; Malay; Mandarin; Urdu; Thai; and Vietnamese.

For further information or to order copies, please contact Consumer Affairs Victoria on 1300 558 181 or email


Emergency Accommodation

Crisis Services Family Violence Outreach Program
29 Grey Street
St Kilda
Tel:   +61 3 9536 7777 or free call 1800 627 727
Offers case managed outreach support for women (including women with children) who are at risk of, or experiencing family violence. The service provides practical assistance with: legal issues, housing and relocation, advocacy, and referrals for emergency accommodation, counselling and other supports.

Flagstaff Crisis Accommodation
Corner King and Roden Streets
West Melbourne
Tel: +61 3 9329 4800
Accommodation for men aged 18 years and over. Fees apply and include meals and laundry.

Frontyard Youth Services
19 King Street
Tel:   +61 3 9611 2411 or free call 1800 800 531
Address the physical, emotional and social needs of young people aged 12 to 25 years.

Hanover South Melbourne
217 Cecil Street
South Melbourne
Tel:   +61 3 8626 5500
Offer emergency accommodation for families.

Hanover Southbank
52 Haig Street
South Melbourne
Tel:   +61 3 9699 4566
Offer emergency accommodation for males, females and families.

Hanover Womens Service
346 Dandenong Road
East St Kilda
Tel:   +61 3 9525 8499
Provides emergency short-term, secure accommodation for single women aged 18 and over.

Home Ground Services
- 68 Oxford Street
  Tel: +61 3 9419 8855
- 122 Chapel Street
  St Kilda
  Tel: +61 3 9537 7722
- 600 Plenty Road
  Tel: +61 3 9471 4522
Crisis accommodation referral service

Karinya Centre
6 Crompton Street
Tel:   +61 3 5329 1100
Offers a number of programs for pregnant women, women with children and families including emergency accommodation for women who are experiencing homelessness.

Melbourne Citymission, Adult and Family Service
214 Nicholson Street
Tel:   +61 3 9687 4997
Offer accommodation support and advocacy.

Ozanam House
179 Flemington Road
North Melbourne
Tel:   +61 3 9329 5100
Provides short-term crisis accommodation for men who are homeless and over the age of 18 years.

Salvation Army Crisis Accommodation Centre
27 Grey Street
St Kilda
Tel:   +61 3 9536 7730
Emergency refuge providing 24 hour supported accommodation for males aged 16-25 and females aged 16-30. The centre also has one room available for families.

Women's Domestic Violence Crisis Service
Tel:   +61 3 9373 0123 or free call 1800 015 188
A 24 hour/7 days a week telephone service providing support, information and accommodation for women and children fleeing domestic violence.